Thursday, April 12, 2007

It's AC Milan in the Semis

We're facing AC Milan in the semi finals of the Champions League. They just beat Bayern Munich 2-0.

Just a couple of comments:

Owen Hargreaves
I used to be unsure about Owen Hargreaves, but now I'm dead sure I don't want him in Red. Except for a couple of good appearances for England (not hard considering the crap that plays for them), I see absolutely nothing special. At least for Carrick, he's a good player, it's the price tag that makes you cringe. There isn't anything in particular about Hargreaves that makes him special, and there sure isn't anything about him that would make him worth anything over a couple million pounds. Can't pass, can't tackle, can't shoot. I can't believe I actually stayed up and watched both legs, hoping to see something worth raving about.

If anything, Mark Van Bommel looked like a star in the Bayern midfield. And he's got the fire in the belly.

The Game
1. Bayern couldn't buy a break. Every decision seemed to go against the home team.
2. AC players just couldn't get booked. No matter what they did, the referee simply wouldn't book them. Disgusting!
3. Obscene time wasting by the Italians. What's new?
4. Ferguson was at the game scouting our opponents. I hope he was taking notes about Hargreaves too.
5. The Italian defence is ancient. We should be able to unleash Ronaldo and Rooney on them.

2 comments:

Gentleman said...

I always thought Hargreaves will be the key to our squad, a defending midfielder. No?

spectre said...

Well, for a defending midfielder, he wasn't defending much against AC Milan....in both legs.

Other than a couple of good shows with a very pathetic English team, he's not shown much anywhere else.

The thing about him that irks me most is the lack of fire shown in both legs against Milan. His shoulders were visibly dropped by the second half in the second leg. Van Bommel, on the other hand, was totally fired up, urging his players on.

I don't mind not purchasing a leader, but I do mind purchasing a loser.

That being said, if he does don a red jersery, I will still cheer him on and hope for the best, albeit grudgingly. At least on the bright side, I've got another whipping boy to rag on in my blog entries. ;o)

Blog Archive