Saturday, August 12, 2006

Can't Wait for the Season to Start

Truthfully, I'm not too interested in this season. Chelsea is probably going to run away with the title again, with Liverpool probably giving them a run for their money (which they have loads of). I see Arsenal rebuilding and probably somewhere around 4-5th place fighting it out with arch-rivals Spurs for that final Champions League spot again. As for us, I don't see us giving Chelsea much trouble. We might pip Liverpool to the 2nd spot, but that's probably our peak unless something crazy happens.

One thing's for sure, I sure as hell hope the season starts. At least having football is better than sitting around reading stupid news streaming in on who we are going after, instead of having concrete evidence of them wearing the famous red jersery (have I mentioned how much I hate the new sponsor logo?).

I just cannot stand having us linked up to players like Tevez, Torres and Veira, and having my hopes dashed when we eventually don't sign them. It doesn't make things better when we sign crittens like Carrick and that Polish keeper. I have no idea how our braintrust works. They are either braindead or just brainless.

To make matters worse, it seems we may actually be getting Senna from Villareal. For once I hope the rumour mill is wrong. I don't see how having Senna helps. I've seen him play in the Champions League last season and for Spain in the World Cup, but have come away unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, I know he's not a flashy player and I wasn't looking for flash. He doesn't seem to have the kind of aggression I want in a United midfield general. In short, I don't think he can lead the troops when the chips are down. For that matter, no one in the current team is able to do that.

We serverely lack a leader. Someone who can carry the team on his shoulders and takes it personally when we're down. A few candidates come close, but are either over their prime (Giggs, Neville) or simply too inexperienced (Rooney, Ronaldo). I want to see my players get angry. I want to see them pissed off....really pissed off. I want Keano and Robbo and Cantona.

Put me out of my misery, just let the goddamn season start.

No comments:

Blog Archive