Monday, August 10, 2009

Chealsea Beats United On Penalties

I've got to make this as brief as possible. The past few weeks have been rather hectic, hence I've not been covering the preseason friendlies as much as I would have liked. Cow's mum passed away and my girlfriend had a career threatening crisis, both incidents took me away from watching the game I love. So to Bill Shankly, who famously reckoned that football is more important than life, well, he and all the Liverpool fans can go kiss my ass.

Which brings me to my next point. I was offered tickets to the United in KL but was unable to go due to the passing of Cow's mum. It probably would have been a great experience, but being with a good friend in a time of need was way more important. And while our good neighbours had the good fortune of seeingUnited play twice in KL, we, in Singapore got the short end of the stick, having to host a bunch of ungreatful scousers. Word from the grapevine (people who were involved) was that most of the Liverpool players and their officials were giant dicks, but we probably already knew that. The exceptions were Kuyt and the Israeli boy named Benayoun.

Today's Game
I'm going to be brutally honest here and say outright that Chelsea is going to win the league. The only way we're even gonig to top them is if we do what Liverpool did last season, and that's to play out of our skins. And also the Africa Cup of Nations might work in our favour at the turn of the year when Chelsea loses key players. Other than that, there's no way we can beat them in a straight race.

We dominated the first half of the game, but that was only because Chelsea were still in preseason mode. Nani gave us the lead with a rasping shot.

The second half was a total turn around. Chelsea totally controlled the game. With Fletcher as the only midfielder, we were completely outplayed and outpassed. We weren't helped that Foster was a bunch of nerves and probably played the worst game I've seen a keeper play in my entire life.

We managed to equalise at the death with a great pass from Giggs which set Rooney alight goalwards. However that rescue act merely prolonged the inevitable and we lost the game on penalties.

It's only a pre-season game and the league starts proper next week, but it's worrying to see us outplayed by our closest rival to the title. We have to play alot harder and alot smarter to make up the difference in quality, if we're going to retain the title for a record 4th time.

No comments:

Blog Archive