Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Superman Takes Off Gracefully, But Lands Like a Drunk Elephant

I know this is supposed to be a blog on Manchester United and soccer related stuff, but I just had to do this. With a handle like 'spectre', you can only assume I'm either a huge James Bond fan or a huge DC Comic fan. And the picture in my profile should confirm which catergory I belong to.

Don't let the title of this entry fool you. I love Superman. I've always loved Superman when I was a young boy, eversince that 78 movie starring the late Christopher Reeves. I even have a NM copy of the 87 Superman Volume 2 issue #1 comic with me (any takers?...going cheap).

As for the movie Superman Returns, if you haven't caught the movie, I suggest you stop reading here and just catch the last 2 words. After the movie, ponder over it. I'm still having nightmares over it.

Ok, today is/was Youth Day in Singapore and what better way to celebrate it than to catch Superman Returns to reminisce my own childhood. The opening of the movie brought back old nostalgic feeling of the first Superman movie. The music/score was similar and the way the opening credits were presented was almost exactly the way the 78 movie was done. For a moment I really felt I was watching a re-run of that movie.

Director Bryan Singer did an almost brilliant (note I used 'almost') job in keeping to the 70-80s Superman movies. Even the lead actor, Brandon Routh, resembles Christopher Reeves. And Kate Bosworth looked gorgeous as Lois Lane. She certainly was a great improvement from the actress (what's her name) who played Lois the other times.

The movie started off a little draggy, with Singer trying to tie up loose ends between the old movies and the current installment. Something I thought was pretty damn good.

I also liked the way the characters were built up throughout the entire movie. Unfortunately I didn't really warm up to Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. Gene Hackman is a tough act to follow, even for an oscar winner. He lacked the edge and didn't seem sinister enough as the villian. I prefered a slightly crazed Lex whose main aim in life was to destroy Superman, and than claim world domination, and not the other way around. Seems like Lex has his obsessions reversed. But hey, reversed or not, Lex is still Lex, entertaining as ever.

The action in the movie was passable. Not brilliant but still good enough to carry the movie. I believe alot of it was due to the emotional roller coaster the entire movie put me thru. Did I mention I love Superman (but not in a gay way)? Singer did a great job letting us feel the emotions of Superman and out pouring love the world has for Superman. There were moments in the movie where I had to seriously hold back tears or look like a wuss in front of my girlfriend. Eg, when the baseball stadium was cheering for Superman and when Superman was in a coma.

Then of course Singer had to spoil everything that was so painstakingly built up. He freaking gave Superman a son! WTF! I'm a traditionist and a conservative, and I think the whole damn story was killed when the suggestion was put into our minds, or at least my mine.

Throughout the entire experience, I had a myriad of emotions and thoughts flowing through my mind and yet when I left the bloody cinema, the only thing that was on my mind was.....

CHILDCARE SUPPORT!

No comments:

Blog Archive