Wednesday, October 24, 2012

United Nearly Pays The Price

Manchester United 3 - Sporting Braga 2
Scorers
Manchester United: Hernandez (25, 75), Evans (62)
Sporting Braga: Alan (2, 20)

Team: De Gea, Evans, Carrick, Rafael, Buttner, Fletcher, Cleverley, Kagawa (Nani 46), Rooney, Van Persie, Hernandez (Giggs 80)

Great comeback victory, but honestly if we hadn't won, this one would be on Fergie. All that nonsense of not wanting to repeat the debacle of last season, and he rests Rio and Evra. Fittingly, Buttner and Carrick were at fault for us slipping into a 2-0 hole.

Lucky for Ferguson, our attack was much stronger than our defence on this day. Riding on the back of Hernandez's heady play (pun fully intended), we managed to claw a victory, but just. Even while leading 3-2, we were playing like a bunch of girls, giving possession away and generally playing like we were having our periods.

Honestly I know I should be celebrating the result, but I just can't help but be pissed off at Ferguson and his decisions today. Other than not playing our strongest 11, he further compounded it by bringing Hernandez off the pitch when he could've had a chance at a hattrick. Again after all the nonsense of resting players for the weekend against Chelsea, he chose to take Hernandez off instead of Van Persie or Rooney, both of whom are almost guaranteed to start at the weekend.

I know Ferguson has been instrumental to bringing United to where it is now, while I would shed a tear for his past achievements, I wouldn't be sorry to see the great man leave in the summer. His loyalty to players like Carrick, Giggs and to a lesser extent Scholes is really wearing my patience thin.

I absolutely dread the prospect of facing Chelsea this weekend. Given the way we've been defending, I pretty sure we'd get murdered at Stamford Bridge. Our attack might give a good account of themselves, but the defence sends more than shivers down my spine.

No comments:

Blog Archive