Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Thank God It's Fucking Over

Plenty has happened since the last time I post anything useful, partly due to being really busy and partly due to me forgetting, yet again, my password. But this post isn't about me. I'm just going to use this post to rave and rant over, what I feel, is one of the worst World Cups I've ever witness in my short life span on this earth.

The first round was a wash. Utterly unwatchable. The games to goals ratio was utterly pathetic and every team was simply just boring. There were times it seemed like no one knew how to play attacking football. There were times it seemed like no one cared. All the big guns were clueless on how to breakdown the stubborn defenses thrown at them resulting in some abysmal scorelines. Of course me losing money in the process just reinforced my point....ahem.

The second round onwards were only marginally better. But the end result of Spain winning it with their brand of putting everyone to sleep with a million passes sideways would bore everyone to sleep. They ended up the winners with the least goals scored on route. It's a travesty that such a team even deserved to win. Not to mention all the whining, imaginary card waving to the referee and the fake injuries just leaves a bitter taste in everyone's mouth. Deserved champions? My ass. If anything, it only reinforces my utter disdain for the Spanish brand of football and teams that hold out for 1-0 scorelines. World Cups in the past were so much better with the Spaniards going home in the second round. So much better.

The other finalists, the Dutch were no better. Their brand of football in the finals was only good for Mortal Kombat. If I wanted to watch some good fighting, I'd watch Ultimate Fighter or the good'o WWE. Instead I spend the night watching a bunch of unskilled kickers chasing a bunch of pansies around a football pitch. As bad as the last finals were, at least it had Zidane actually hurting someone. As much as I hate Zidane, he suddenly went up considerably in my book. Horrible conclusion to a horrible tournament.

Just to make my experience even worse, the vuvuzelas ringing in every game is a buzz kill. It's gotta be one of the most irritating sounds on the face of the earth, next to my singing. It's akin to entering a swamp and being attacked by a million mosquitoes. Reminds me too much of my days when I was serving in the army. Too many bad memories.

Then there was THAT ball called the jambulani. With the exception of Forlan, not a single player seems to know how to use it. Everyone had trouble reading its bounce and more trouble trying to strike it. It made for awful viewing and as a result, awful games with strikers ballooning their shots.

And once again video technology would have cleared up so much of the controversial decisions made. At least after all the boo-boos made by the men in black, Sepp Blatter finally took time off to take his enlarged head out of his ass and admitted that it could be reviewed. All that's lacking is video evidence that he's managed to remove it completely.

Not to mention that the world media agrees with me completely that this is the most boring World Cup ever. Instead of covering the games, midway thru the tournament, most print and internet media focused their attention on an octopus.....seriously an octopus! Paul was the most interesting piece of news that's come out of this World Cup. Our local propaganda print media even tried to make things more interesting with our own version of a psychic parrot. That's just how bad the World Cup was, or how utterly devoid of journalistic integrity our local reporters have. The least anyone could have done was to tell how bad it was and not spin it completely out of whack.

To round off the rant, the only unbeaten team from this tournament is.....New Zealand. That's right....NEW ZEALAND. Eat your fucking heart out, I rest my case.

No comments:

Blog Archive