Thursday, April 23, 2009

Closing In On The Title

Manchester United 2 - Portsmouth 0
Scorers
Manchester United: Rooney (8), Carrick (82)

Team: Van der Sar, Vidic, Evans, Neville (O'Shea 13, Rafael 53), Evra, Fletcher, Scholes, Anderson (Carrick 76), Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney


Just in case anyone was wondering, I haven't died and disappeared from the face of the earth since the FA Cup semi-finals. I just decided to take my mum's advice: if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all. Well, that's not entirely true. I was very impressed with how our kids performed against the tested and tried players of Everton, but I realised I was probably going to spend the entire post slagging off Berbatov, so to save everyone from my tirade I made the executive decision not to write anything.

Which bring me to today's post, I really ought to keep my keyboard somewhere where I can't find it. With the exception of Anderson and Fletcher, we were pretty terrible.

The moment Rooney scored the early goal, we completely lost our intensity and passion for the game. In short, we settled for a 1-0 victory.

If you read the stat sheet, it's true we had an incredible amount of shots on goal, but most of it was due to the god awful job Portsmouth was doing defending. How the hell Portsmouth isn't at the bottom of the table along side West Brom is beyond me. They were giving the ball away in dangerous positions time and time again. Utterly incredibly poor finishing on our part and brilliant keeping from James kept the scoreline respectable.

Again I reiterate, other than Fletcher and Anderson, we could very well had 9 other Berbatovs on the pitch and it wouldn't have made a difference. I don't know if yesterday's results between Arsenal and Liverpool had an impact on how we played, ot simply fatigue playing into it, but our players looked disinterested. Damn, my Sunday soccer team shows more passion than them.

To add to the woes of our fans, we're actually going to increase ticket prices to droll out this kind of entertainment. I'm just glad I'm in Singapore watching the games at a minimal cost, rather than in England getting fleeced.

At least on the bright side, we really should have the title in the bag now. 6 games to go, a match in hand and a healthy 3 point lead should really do it, especially after both Liverpool and Chelsea have dropped points.

We should look better on Saturday against Spurs. I can't possibly imagine us playing any worse than we have today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your mothers advice is good given! but to say we can't playing worse - hm, I sould say, we can do better, because I'm afraid, that we can! Nevertheless, I hope, we'll go to Rome!

Antonia

titurwelltera said...

wanna say, I'm afraid, that we can do worse, but ... I would like to say, we improve ... and ... B E L I E V E!!!

I think people say, believe, cause they don't do think that thinks change?

Blog Archive