Monday, February 09, 2009

Same 'O Same 'O

West Ham 0 - Manchester United 1
Scorer
Manchester United: Giggs (62)

Team: Van der Sar, Rio, Vidic, O'Shea, Rafael, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Berbatov, Tevez (Park 88)

If we win the league this year, it wouldn't be by style points. We went up against an in-form West Ham team who matched up well against us.

Right from the kickoff, West Ham came at us hard and we matched the pace in an exhausting first half that neither side produced anything note-worthy, except for sweat drenched jerseys. Considering how hard the Hammers played, I thought we played well and made intelligent use of the ball when we had it.

The second half was more of the same bar a stroke of genius from Giggs that produced the winner and yet another 1-0 scoreline. Giggs turned back the clock and shimmied his way past two West Hammer defenders before unleashing a low shot into the back of the net. It was the only piece of play that was really worth typing. Ronaldo probably had a legitimate claim for a penalty towards the end of the game, but the referee was never going to give it.

West Ham did look threatening without really threatening Van der Sar (right, I know that sounds confusing). And speaking of Van der Sar, apparently he now holds the record for the longest clean sheet in Britain. I wonder what record they would dig up if we get another clean sheet next week.

Anyway, the important thing is that we've maintained the momentum. I have to say that Liverpool's luck is incredible. Last week they got two late goals against Chelsea and this week they hit another against Pompey. Not to mention the late ones they've hit in the beginning of the season. They are chalking up some ridiculous points and it's beginning to worry me.

We're not much better ourselves. We're unable to put away opponents. While we have the points in the bag, I'm worried our style of play will come back to bite us in the final reckoning. That said, I'll contradict myself here: I'm still pretty sure we're going to edge out everyone here and that's only because after watching Chelsea and Pool play, I conclue that they are utterly crap. Now I only wait for Villa to sneak up from behind and bite me in the arse.

No comments:

Blog Archive