Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Get Ready For A Snore Fest

Alright, you guys win. I had an email, a comment, an SMS and a phone call asking where the bloody hell the preview is. I've been really lazy and rather sick the past few days and was about to give this a miss, but finally decided to give in under pressure. I know it's late and possibly most of you would be reading this way after the match is over, but it's better to be late than never.

Another reason why I've been putting this off is that I can't seem to find my lucky red underwear. I've either misplaced it or the colour's faded (can't remember ever buying that pink one). I'm pretty sure it's not a big deal, but we fans are a superstitious lot or at least I am with regards to United.

Given Fergie's past tactics against Chelsea, we're probably going to stick our heads in the sand and play the much dreaded, entertainment-killer of a formation, 4-5-1. Chelsea, as we all know, are going to be boring as hell. So in effect, as everyone predicts, the game will probably end up 0-0 after the 90 is up and Chelsea nicks it in extra time or we crumble in the shoot-out. Either way, it doesn't look good....at all.

It doesn't help that even before the ball is kicked, both sets of players have started a media campaign to unsettle the opponent. The dumbest, of course were Vidic's comments on Drogba. History, as recent as the semi-finals, have shown when Drogba's pride is at stake, he rises to the occasion. Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite Vidic in the arse.

But Vidic isn't the only culprit, just possibly the dumbest. A whole slew of players from both sides have been using the media to voice an opinion or two. It's perhaps discouraging for me that not one of the good guys has even mentioned winning this one for Munich.

Ah well, now that we're gotten the doom and gloom bits out of the way, things really ain't so bad. Fergie could jolly well surprise all of us and play with his best eleven. Chelsea may come out of their shell and provide us with a goal-fest, making it a truly special night to remember. And I could really get drunk on tea tonight.

Anyway, I leave you with Fergie's European Finals record, while I go search for my lucky red underwear. I still think this one will go 0-0, but damn this one really throws a wrench in the works.

1983 Cup Winners Cup Aberdeen 2-1 Real Madrid
1991 Cup Winners Cup United 2-1 Barcelona
1999 Champions League United 2-1 Bayern Munich

No comments:

Blog Archive