Tuesday, April 29, 2008

History Is Not On United's Side

3 days after the Battle of the Bridge and I'm still fuming, spewing venom at anyone foolish enough to remind me of the game. It's no wonder I have so few friends.

Given our recent perfomances and results, I've decided to write a preview for tonight's game, just to break the routine and hopefully bring about a change in fortune. Yes, I admit it's rather superstitious on my part, but I'm willing to try anything at this point in time. (I even have my lucky red underwear on standy-by).

Come to think of it, this isn't really going to be very much of a preview. I received an email from a reader, someone who shares my fears. Secretly I think he utterly hates me by sending me more doom and gloom (just kidding).

Anyway before I ramble on and bore the pants off everyone, here are the contents of the email:


Surely the big night at Old Trafford will see them through?

Don't bet on it — Manchester United have never reached a European Cup Final via a second leg at Old Trafford.

They failed in 1957, 1966, 1969 and 1997. In 1968 and 1999 they relied on away wins at Real Madrid and Juventus.

But 0-0 away from home in the first leg was not a bad result, was it?

Overall, 70 per cent of European teams who have secured 0-0 draws in first leg knockout ties away from home have qualified for the next stage.

United's success rate is 25 per cent, having failed to progress in three out of four ties: Volgograd (1995-96), Monaco (1997-98) and Real Madrid in (1999-2000). They did beat Panathinaikos in the 1991-92 European Cup-winners' Cup first round.

OK, let's broaden it. What about Fergie's United record if they fail to score in any European away leg?

It gets worse... they are almost invariably knocked out. Just look at this list: 1993-94: 0-0 at Galatasaray; out on away goals. 1996-97: 0-1 at Dortmund; then 0-1 at home; out 0-2 agg. 1997-98: 0-0 at Monaco; then 1-1 at home; out on away goals. 1999-2000: 0-0 at Real; then 2-3 at home; out 2-3 agg. 2000-01: 0-1 at Bayern; then 1-2 at home; out 1-3 agg. 2006-07: 0-3 at Milan; out 3-5 agg.

The sole exception?

A 0-0 draw in Porto in 1997 after winning the first leg 4-0.

But isn't history on United's side on this, the 50th anniversary of the Munich disaster?

Even that may not be particularly encouraging: if United fail tonight, Ferguson's record will be identical to that of Sir Matt Busby: 1 final, 1 win; 5 semi-finals, 4 lost.

Doesn't look too encouraging does it? At least on the bright side, should we by some luck get into the finals, our record there is flawless.

No comments:

Blog Archive